Web To Print / What is Web 2 Print?
There are certain misconceptions about the technology:
- Some people believe that Web2Print is a mere alternative for delivering data to a print service provider. It is surely more than a substitute for e-mail or FTP file transfer.
- Another idea suggests that Web2Print is the process of ordering printed products over the Internet.
Although these ideas might individually describe some aspects of a Web2Print system, they are still far from the real offering.
Simply put, Web2Print is:
- A web-based application that allows online generation of print ready files that can be individually modified and delivered to printers for processing and printing
- A system that does not expect its users to possess knowledge of any designing or editing software. All you need is an Internet connection and a Web Browser!
In technological terms:
- A Web2Print system comprises a server that acts as the central point for communications, and a front end - usually a web browser, via which the user interacts with the server
- The server includes a database that holds large amounts of information in a structured form and a publishing application that performs two important tasks:
- Generation of a preview of the design layout created. The display in the web browser allows the user to modify and edit content
- Real-time generation of a print-ready file (often in the form of .pdf)
- The file thus compiled and saved on the server, ready to be delivered to the printer
Web2Print can hence be an ideal solution for businesses that require reprints while keeping a major part of the design and layout unchanged. Applications like promotional material, business stationery, advertisements, Flyer, posters, postcards, brochures, catalogs etc are best printed through a Web2Print platform and at the same time it act as speed source of order generation for commercial printers.
Higher levels of process optimization, increased standardization, centralized corporate communication and maintaining corporate identity and brand assets all become easier with a Web2Print application.